Thursday, October 28, 2010

¡¿Where in the world is Robin Santiago?!

So, greetings from Ecuador!

I´ve been down here for about a week and a half so far, most of that time was spent with Nat on the coast. In Montañita we were adopted by the hostel owner who took us on tours all up and down the coast, threw Nat a birthday party on our first night and cooked us dinner almost every night. When we weren´t surfing or playing beach v-ball against the locals, we were getting sucked into the hammocks that hung all over the hostel. Nat also adopted and named several of the cats and dogs that were constantly wandering around ("Bessie" the kitten...she looked like a cow and we wanted to leave a Canadian mark down there). Other interesting adventures were:
- pulling a half unconscious kid from the surf and then learning that he had no parents, slept on the street and was addicted to sniffing glue (the truly dark side of Montanita)
- walking out of our hostel one night to go get salad fixings and coming face to face with a bull ("Don´t worry, he won´t hurt you, just hit him on the bum and tell him to move" - Colorado the hostel owner. Uhhhh no I'd rather not get close enough to a bull to smack him but thanks!)
- Sleeping with the lights on...cockroaches don´t like light you know
-Ecuadorian buses. For the sake of my mother's heart, I will say no more. But those of you who have been here know what I'm talking about....
- stupid volcanos screwing up plans. It seems volcanic activity follows me where ever I go. Baños, the outdoor adventure capital of Ecuador (and my heaven) is slowly being evacuated in case of an eruption. Not to worry, I´m not chancing it...for now.

Right now I´m in the mountain city Cuenca. After dirty and busy Guayaquil, this place feels like a breath of fresh air, or it would except for the fact that it´s 2500 metters up. The air is a bit thin so I´m out of breath climbing the stairs...maybe that´s just because I´m out of shape right now though. In addition to the city being smaller, totally picturesque and dirt cheap, I´ve managed to meet a bunch of Canadians (of course) and we´re all headed out salsa dancing tonight.

Tomorrow my next travelling companion arrives. Mike and I are headed to Peru for some Machu Piccu action and then down to Ariquepa (I need to learn how to spell that) for spanish school and some treking. Depending on how quicky we can pick up español, I´d love to squeeze in a trip to the salt flats in Boliva as well before heading back to Ecuador in mid august for the 2 day mission back to Sweden.

No comments:

Post a Comment